Saturday, January 21, 2006

Chevy's

Chevys is a nice Mexican restaurant just across the street from the Pentagon City Mall (or Fashion Centre, whichever you prefer). Its fairly cheap, open, colorfully designed, and has what you would expect on the menu from a chips-and-salsa joint.

I do not consider myself a high-maintenance restaurant diner; however, if menu items are to come with so many fancy frills and decorations then I will exercise my right to make sure these options are to my liking. I was not trying to be difficult

I love cheese. The saturated fat content of cheese does not like me. Therefore, I ordered my Fresh Market Quesadillas without cheese, to counterbalance the enormous amount of fat I plugged into my thighs with an entire basket of canola-fried tortilla chips.

What I did not realize was that the queso of quesadilla is Spanish for cheese, and is basically the glue that holds the tortilla and et cetera together.

The waiter was puzzled but compliant.

Upon realizing my mistake (and enduring the ridicule of my friends who had not elected to take French in highschool), I asked my patient waiter if we could put the queso back in quesadilla.

Apparently I had caused some confusion in the kitchen and I was too late (I imagined the chef standing wide-eyed with two tortillas in his open hands while he wondered Just what the hell do I do now?!). My only option at this stage was to have a side of cheese, meaning a dilla with a side of queso. So, I made my cama and laid in it.

It would be like ordering a cheesecake without the cheese

No comments: